New Spaces

Not only are we extremely close to opening our new space in
the Exchange District... we have moved our blog.

All the content from this blog has been moved to our new
address on the web. We will leave this blog up as a byway
to ...


See you there!

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Tickled by Tiki


Friday afternoon my guy and I were over at Wicker World on McPhillips having a looky loo at deck umbrellas. I found myself particularly attracted to the kitschy Tiki umbrellas and lamps as I thought they would be tres, tres retro cool at poolside with the utterly funk-a-licious volcano/hula girl bowl and Hawaiian glasses we have grouped together in store. And that's where it hit me, I know nothing more of that bowl than it was a must get vintage treasure. I loved it. It was just so... so... Kitsch with a capital K.

While searching the annals of the net, digging deep, I happened across an interesting piece of history I thought you might enjoy. It seems that Tiki culture was created by nothing more than one young man's desire to earn a living, his lack of funds and forced frugality and a series of happy accidental collisions with the right people. It is a story rooted in Americana and an example of rags to riches. This article is also where I learned the history of our kitschy bowl.


Take me there!

THE Don enjoying a tropical rum concoction at one of his Don the Beachcomber's at the International Marketplace in downtown Waikiki.

Its rather a long article, but do read the first segment, at least until you get to our bowl!

We all know Tiki. Some folks just don't get it and I know I can say with certainty that not everyone loves it - at least, not like I do. My love was sparked by the fab art of Shag. How could I not love the vintage/retro/mid-century/Tiki influences as portrayed by his talented hand? Take me there!




Tiki, like any other design style, has its place. It's a rather easy look to create and there aren't many, if any rules, to abide by. Thatch, bamboo, palms, Tiki statues, coconuts, Polynesian and Hawaiian influences from orchid embellished towels and coverups to bright barware with a high kitsch factor. Spin a little surf music or, preferably, Tiki music (yes, Tiki even inspired a new sound in that time), hang up a few Tiki bar signs, serve up some classic rum concoctions and you've recreated the Tiki craze of the fifties.

Of course, the final touch would be to serve up a massive cocktail with the volcano aflame in our unique hula beverage bowl!

I wouldn't be comfortable with it in my house, but it would work really, really well, in high Kitsch fashion, in my gazebo and around the pool! Which is exactly my new plan for that space. At my house, not my guy's. He doesn't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment