New Spaces

Not only are we extremely close to opening our new space in
the Exchange District... we have moved our blog.

All the content from this blog has been moved to our new
address on the web. We will leave this blog up as a byway
to ...


See you there!

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Playthings



As a collector of artist/designer vinyl toys I am always drawn to whimsical playthings.  While visiting Dwell magazine's online site the other day I noticed a recurring theme.  Okay.  Maybe I only imagined a 'theme' - so attracted am I, like a fish to a shiny lure, to cutesy and/or macabre whatnots.


Robots.  Robots on prints.  Robot toys.  Futuristic robotic looking housewares.





This adorable little guy is a MoMA exclusive.  Created, using reclaimed wood, by Brazilian designer Alberto Pretel this is one little guy who will be coming home with me from New York.  


3Fish Studios artist Eric Rewitzer not only creates super cool retro style robot linocuts.... he also creates modern furniture prints.  And, as if that isn't enough, the best of both worlds can be had with his limited edition "Better Together" series.  At $35 a pop, how can you choose only one?

Visit 3 Fish Studios to acquire and see more... Take Me There!



Our Children's Gorilla is a collective of in house, and select freelance, designers.  Their designs are primarily geared toward children (and big kids like me).  Quirky and irresistible, I see more than one thing I'd be delighted to make space for in my collection.   At the top of the page we feature Albert - strong (laser cut sheet metal), eco friendly (the metal is recycled!) little robot buddy to hang your what nots from.

And then, there's Gary.  Sturdy little natural wood and hemp robo friend.  A friend to last through the ages.  To tell secrets to and to pass down to the next generation of robot lovers. And if one is good, then two is even better!  Just keep him out of reach of the dog.


See more by Our Children's Gorilla... Take Me There!



Real robot themed goods from a virtual world?  Until last year, the Museum of Robots could only be found in a virtual world known as Second Life.  Now, they can be found two places online - as a Second Life museum dedicated to robot appreciation and as an online store.  Think robot housewares might be weird?  Think again.  





Flying Saucer Bowl

To see the full line of products and learn more about the Museum of Robots...  Take Me There!    




I don't presently have any robots living at my place.  But I think that's about to change.  I am, after all, going to be in New York next week.  My vinyl guys are going to have to make a little room for some new companions.


No comments:

Post a Comment